Severe weather can be frightening for travelers, no matter how much driving experience you have. Winter storms, bad weather and dangerous road conditions are a factor in nearly half a million crashes and over 2,000 road deaths every winter, according to research from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
Before you head out, whether for work or pleasure, make sure you know how to handle a road emergency if one should arise.
- Keep cold weather gear in your car — including extra food and water, warm clothes, a flashlight, a glass scraper, blankets, medications, etc.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated and have enough tread.
- Keep at least half a tank of fuel in your vehicle.
- Never warm up a vehicle in an enclosed area, like a garage.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on ice and snow.
With plenty of winter weather ahead this season, make sure you’re prepared to deal with a potential emergency or dangerous road conditions.
FLI wants to keep your shipment safe in all seasons. That’s why we’ve assembled a team of the best professionals in the transportation industry. If you’re curious about our team members or our awesome services, give us a call!